2010年8月3日星期二

Travel China Experience Sharing with You




Whenever I return from a trip, people always ask what my favourite part was, and I re-emphasize the difficulty in responding with just one answer. Do I go with the food? Do I mention the shopping? Shouldn't natural beauty get in there? What about the company? I can over-analyse and write the story from start to finish as I usually do, or mention a few of the most memorable moments or locations.

Food in Chengdu was the ultimate for those who love spice. In fact, it was unlike any spice I have ever experienced. I'm not a die hard triple chilli sweating buckets kind of girl, as I still like to taste the food, which is partly why I loved the unique flavours in this part of China. The peppercorns that they use are not black or white or red but Sichuan. The pepper has a citrus aftertaste in addition to a numbing effect in larger doses. So that's what did it for me. After tasting the veggies and meats that had been cooking in a spice infused brine, I had the perfect excuse for slurring my words-my lips and tongue were slightly numb!

Seeing animals that differ from the racoons in my backyard have always been a draw for me to certain locations around the world. So it was with great delight that the Panda Breeding Center was on the itinerary. Leading up to the excursion, the guides spoke of how lazy these creatures were. I felt slightly defensive as if the locals were backstabbing the bamboo crunching creatures that share their geographic region. Having toured the grounds for myself, I can whole heartedly agree, these animals are more than lazy. They eat. They sleep. And they are incredibly adorable. The research centre has done a lot of work to build the population so I felt proud that my visitor’s fees contributed.

Visiting the town of Yangshuo was a breath of fresh air. Having explored Hong Kong and being cooped up on a train for far too long I felt refreshed by hiking in the limestone kaarsts. There are so many adventurous activities to do in this area (caving, bike riding, rafting, climbing) in addition to experiencing more of the Chinese culture through cooking, painting and best of all-shopping in the markets! Though we stayed in town for a couple of nights, it wasn't long enough to unwind and taste everything there was to offer.

Temples are an immediate insight into life past and present. I find studying the detailed paintings and sculptures as I inhale the aromatic insence, to be an incredibly uplifting experience. Trying to step into the mind of the worshippers as they silently unite in their surroundings, is an experience that all travellers should attempt. On the first day in China I had the opportunity to visit the Man Mo Temple. Man Mo Temple Incense in Hong Kong. Although I had been there before, seeing the insence coils hanging and burning from the ceiling was a reminder of how far away from my own daily life I really was. Yet, past all the tourists this location was part of the daily life of many locals. Fascinating.


Travelling companions can really make or break a holiday, which is why I've often chosen to travel solo. Selfish as I may be, I like choosing my company rather than sacrificing my own choices. So I do prefer private tour to travel China.

So there is a taste of China. And all the above are the most memorable parts of my travel China experience.

没有评论:

发表评论